Ancient Greece & Rome Web Quest
Directions: Click on the following links to answer the questions.
**If you copy and paste answers, you will receive ZERO CREDIT**
1. Which form of government was Athens one of the first cities to develop? What does Pericles' comment reveal about Greek values?
2. Name two groups of people who were NOT allowed to vote in Athens. What does this say about their social structure?
3. Click on the "Explore" button. Look at three different areas of the city and comment what each was used for.
4. Click the back button and click on "Story." Pick one character to follow through their day. What did you learn about this social class of person?
5. Why were festivals important to ancient Greeks?
6. Describe polytheism in Greece.
7. Click on several of the gods/goddesses and the festivals at the bottom of the screen. What do their gods/goddesses reveal about their cultural values? What do the festivals reveal about cultural values?
8. Who was one of Greece’s main enemies?
9. What form of government did Persia have/how do you know?
10. Why do you think these battles have been immortalized in films for so many years? Find THREE films which immortalize these battles and describe briefly the historical accuracy of each. Why do you think we still watch these?
11.-13. Pick THREE different CATEGORIES of pots from ancient Greece. Quickly scan through the pots in your three categories and then comment on what these pots showed you about Greek culture IN YOUR OWN WORDS.
14. What form of government did the Romans establish after they overthrew the Etruscan king? What does this tell you about the Roman populace?
15. Describe in depth the social structure of Rome. What does this highly classified social structure reveal about the values in this culture?
16. Why was Julius Caesar famous? Look at the list of emperors who followed him--comment on 3 and why they stood out to you.
17. How long did emperors hold their office? What does this reveal about Roman values/culture?
18. Describe dailly life in ancient Rome.
19. Which 4 religions/religious ideals spread throughout the Roman empire? What are the differences between each? How do they clash?
20. Describe how these vastly different viewpoints would have affected overall society in Rome.
21. Who spread Christianity rapidly in the Roman Empire? How did they spread it? Why did the religion spread so quickly?
22. What was Nero's role in Christianity and its treatment in Rome? Was Christianity accepted in Rome immediately after the death of Jesus? How do you know? What factors influenced the treatment of Christians in Roman society at this time?
23. What was Rome's official religion in 323 C.E.? Why did this occur?
24. Describe collegium pontificum; rex sacrorum, and the vestal virgins. What do all these ancient traditions indicate about ancient Roman society?
25. Summarize the lives of rich and poor Romans in THREE sentences.
Discuss these last 2 questions with a partner, and answer each on your own in about 1 paragraph (~1 paragraph in length), and turn in:
26. Looking at the political and social culture in ancient Greek and Rome, how do you think these cultures have influenced American culture today? What have we replicated, and what have we changed?
27. What religious traditions do you think have been replicated in current society? What kinds of beliefs about gods/goddesses and God are replicated in current day life?